Now Hiring: Communications & Graphic Design Intern
Title: Communications & Graphic Design Intern
Status: Temporary (June 5 – September 1 or negotiable), paid hourly
Hours: 20 hours/week (during the hours of Monday-Friday: 08:30-4:30 pm); some evenings & weekends required
Reports To: Communications & Community Outreach Coordinator
Location: Northfield Township Government Office, 2550 Waukegan Road, Suite 100, Glenview, IL 60025
Northfield Township is looking for a part-time, temporary communications and graphic design intern from June-August 2023. Qualified applicants should be independent and communications-savvy. They should also have strong writing skills. Previous communications and/or design experience strongly preferred. Candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check. Email email@example.com with a cover letter, resume, writing sample and creative sample. The position pays $15 per hour at 20 hours per week.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Draft collateral materials for communication campaigns in support of the Communications & Community Outreach Coordinator.
- Writing and updating comprehensive communications copy designed to communicate information on Township services including promotional materials, social media posts, website content, etc.
- Assist in planning Township-wide special events and programs in coordination with the Communications & Community Outreach Coordinator.
- Provide on-site event support as requested.
- Capture and edit photos from Township events, programs and services.
- Assist Communications & Community Outreach Coordinator in updating Township & Food Pantry collateral materials such as flyers, web pages, department signage, etc.
- Some evenings and/or weekend hours
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Communications, Public Relations, English, Graphic Design, Marketing, or another related field.
- Knowledge of principals, methods and theory of communication as it relates to several media sources including newspaper, radio, television, social media, etc.
- Strong sense of design and layout organization.
- Ability to create and edit text from source material using appropriate style and format.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including but not limited to Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to manage several projects in an efficient and effective manner with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Experience managing and creating engaging content for popular social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience and skills with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Previous communications work experience.
About Northfield Township:
Northfield Township is a local unit of government that serves residents of Glenview, Northfield, and Northbrook along with some portions of other area suburbs. An elected Supervisor and Board of Trustees govern the Township. Northfield Township provides support to residents through general and emergency assistance, voter registration, and passport services. Referral assistance is available to help identify other social service programs that residents may be eligible for. The Township also serves as a liaison to Cook County to assist residents with property tax questions. For over 50 years, Northfield Township has operated an award-winning food pantry that is sustained entirely by residents, civic organizations, schools, businesses, and the faith community.
Northfield Township is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.