Now Hiring: Food Pantry Manager
Title: FoodPantry Manager
Status: Non-exempt, paid hourly
Salary: $28.00 - $30.00/hr
Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Thursdays: 11:00 am – 7:00 pm
Occasional attendance at meetings and events on weekends or evenings
Reports To: Township Administrator
Location: Northfield Township Government Office, 2550 Waukegan Road, Suite 100, Glenview, IL 60025
The Pantry Manager is in charge of all aspects of operating the Northfield Township Food Pantry. Duties include but are not limited to inventory control, volunteer management, food deliveries, and interacting with food pantry clients. The ideal candidate would possess strong interpersonal skills, the ability to relate and connect with others effectively and perform general logistical and administrative duties in a team environment focusing on providing exceptional service to all Township residents.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Inventory Control and Operations:
- Source, purchase and maintain inventory of food and other items for distribution
- Source, purchase and maintain pantry operational supplies
- Oversee food deliveries
- Coordinate food drives and donation deliveries with Pantry Administrative Assistant and/or Community Outreach Coordinator
- Ensure food safety guidelines are met
- Maintain compliance with the Greater Chicago Food Depository and other vendors
- Ensure cleanliness, organization and safety of pantry related work areas
- Coordinate routine maintenance, repairs and replacement of pantry equipment
- Repetitive heavy lifting and carrying
- Food handling certification
- Schedule and train volunteers
- Provide opportunities for community service
- Perform all volunteer coordination duties as necessary
- Manage all pantry records
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Preparing and submitting monthly reports
- Purchase and track grocery store gift cards, including daily reconciliation
- Provide telephone and in-person service
- Coordinate food deliveries to clients
- Work with the Pantry Administrative Assistant to perform all aspects of the pantry operations
- Attendance at Northfield Township and Northfield Township Food Pantry board meetings and Pantry Advisory Committee and other committee meetings
- Coordinate pantry client visits
- Work with the Township Caseworkers to certify pantry clients as needed
- Attend and represent the Pantry at fundraising and other Pantry communication and outreach events
- Work with communication and outreach staff in promoting Pantry fundraising and promotional events
Secondary Office Duties:
- Provide telephone and in-person support for all Township services and referrals to other agencies as needed
- Provide Illinois Notary services as needed
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of all Township services
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Excellent customer service and exceptional interpersonal skills required
- Strong leadership and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must possess the ability to relate to individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and to work with them in a fair, supportive and cooperative manner.
- Ability to draw appropriate boundaries with clients required.
- Ability to delegate to and manage volunteers required.
- General office skills and record keeping, required.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment with a positive and energetic attitude.
- Frequently move boxes weighing up to 70 pounds.
- Occasional movement of pallets of food from outside drop off location into the pantry.
- Bilingual preferred: fluent in speaking and writing Spanish and English
Education and/or Experience
- Associates degree and
- Five years of work experience in the fields of retail, customer service or logistics
- Bachelor’s degree and
- Three years of work experience in the fields of retail, customer service, logistics
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace and data entry
- Ability to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to reach, lift, stack, and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 70 lbs.
- May use calculators, keyboards, telephone, computers, and other office equipment during the normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required to complete some job duties.
- Evening, and weekend work may be required.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as copy machine, postage machine and computer printer
- Operate carts and pallet jack in order to transfer food donations
Northfield Township is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Township Administrator Gayle Curcio at: firstname.lastname@example.org.